The best way to contact us is through email. General inquiries will get the quickest response and are best through firstname.lastname@example.org. For the most up-to-date information, follow us on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, or just check back in on this website. Otherwise, find the listing of the appropriate person below for their personal contact information.
STAND UP COMEDIANS
We’re hiring at least one stand up comedian!
Blind Tiger Comedy is lucky to be where it is in part thanks to the contributions of a stacked faculty filled with some of the most exciting comedians in the country. We’re looking to expand that faculty in 2022/2023 and add great comedians who are excited to teach stand up comedy classes regularly moving forward. Read on for more about the job and the simple steps to apply!
Blind Tiger Comedy is committed to diversity, and we hope to receive applications from candidates with a broad range of backgrounds including but not limited to: race, ethnicity, Indigeneity, gender, gender-identification, sexual orientation, class and physical ability.
How you’ll spend your time
Blind Tiger Comedy was created and is run by comedians who are also teachers. So we make every effort to support teachers before, during and after their classes, including managing all admin and scheduling classes in a flexible way to be adaptable to the comedy/ acting/ Claymation work you might be up to outside of teaching. Your core responsibilities will be to:
– Teach! Offer your brilliant, comedic mind to the next generation of comedians.
– Understand and adapt the core Blind Tiger Comedy curriculums each week before your class.
– Manage at a high level all elements of the classroom experience: creating a fun, welcoming atmosphere in the classroom, ensuring our Comedy Class Guidelines and Anti-Harassment policy are upheld, and helping others grow their comedy knowledge.
– Attend and support all shows your classes are involved in, and at least one faculty jam per three-month semester.
– Above all: be willing to do what it takes to provide the best experience for our students, and to share the skills that make you the comedian you are!
What we’re looking for
– Outstanding comedians! Our mission is to connect professional, working comedians with up and coming comedy minds. We want to be excited about your comedy, and run our school in a way designed to let you keep rocking your career.
– Comedians who are keen to teach. You do not need to have teaching experience–our training program will foster those skills. But we are keen to work with comedians who are excited to learn themselves and support learning in others!
– Comedians who are nice. Our company is founded on comedy, and we expect a positive, playful attitude from everyone who works with us and represents us, internally and externally. We’re looking for someone who can find the joy in most sorts of comedy, and in the delight of new minds getting into the game.
What we can offer
Day to Day
We pride ourselves on being made up entirely of professional comedians who can also take care of business. We humbly think we can be pretty fun to work with.
We believe our faculty includes some of the best comedians and comedy teachers anywhere.
We believe great teachers learn by doing, and any teacher hired to work with us (even experienced ones!) will start with two paid Teacher Assistant placements in BTC classrooms to learn the tone and techniques our existing faculty offers their students. We also know you’ll have things to teach us! We’re also committed to internal development for us and for you – we’re all going to keep getting better, together.
Blind Tiger Comedy was founded in part to support professionals working in comedy and expand the infrastructure around comedy in Canada. We have done our best to design the teacher experience at BTC to ensure it could be a core part of an individual’s income while flexible enough they can pursue other things.
BTC teachers are paid $62.50/hour, with some small exceptions. Teachers Assistants are paid a portion of that rate as they learn in class.
Interested? To apply, email Artistic Director of Blind Tiger Comedy Tom Hill (email@example.com)* with the following:
- A max 250-word statement of interest that covers why you want to teach, what you want to teach with us, and some highlights from your comedy career; and
- Two references that can speak to what it’s like to work with you as a comedian.
*Please note that in addition to Tom, these applications will be shared with our hiring committee, which includes other members of the BTC faculty as well as excellent teacher Sasha Mark, who heads up our stand up comedy program.
Apply now! Applications are open on a rolling basis, and for us sooner is better. We plan to interview some folks by or on December 9th, but may chat with others sooner or later as needed. Thank you in advance for your time!
Registration, General Inquiries, Class Payment
Allie Shapiro, General Manager
firstname.lastname@example.org – by far the best email for initial inquiries and quick responses
Artistic Director, Blind Tiger Comedy
Consulting Director, Blind Tiger Comedy
Know a friend who might want to try a Blind Tiger Comedy class? Refer-A-Friend by emailing email@example.com to introduce us to them, and you will each receive $25 off your registrations! Simple as that.
We are grateful to be training, performing and making jokes on the traditional, ancestral and unceded territory of the Coast Salish Peoples, including the territories of the x?m??kw?y??m (Musqueam), Skwxwu?7mesh (Squamish), and S?l?i?lw?ta?/Selilwitulh (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations
More detail on each venue:
China Cloud Studios
China Cloud Studios is our flagship venue, where all our shows and many of our classes take place. We are only one of the groups that access China Cloud. You might also meet DJs, musicians heading in for a recording, painters, wood turners, or other creative miscreants.
Address & Map – 524 Main Street, Vancouver BC – google map
Wayfinding – China Cloud Studios is on the east side of Main Street, between Pender and Keefer. Look for the black door with the cloud on it. The street numbers are above the door. For a detailed (and fun) introduction to finding the space, see our Instagram series introducing China Cloud.
Transit – Numerous bus routes pass through the area, including the 3, 8, 19 and 20. It is a 15-20 minute walk to the millenium line SkyTrain, Main Street Science World stop.
Parking – Limited street parking is available the residential areas southeast of China Cloud.
The physical space
China Cloud Theatre has limited accessibility due to a steep staircase at the entrance and tight doorways and bathrooms.
- The stairs leading up to the venue consists of 31 steps, half way up up the steps is a small landing.
- Within the performance space there is a step up to the stage (24cm) and a step down to the wings of the stage.
- The venue’s bar is 107 cm tall
- Door width: 79cm
- Width: 156cm
- Actual bathroom clearance: 108cm
- Length: 188cm
- Door opens inwards
- All bathrooms within the venue are single-occupant, gender-neutral.
Carousel Studios is a beautiful set of three studios situated on Granville Island. Carousel Theatre is a theatre that creates and produces children’s theatre productions and runs classes for children. When we are there, it is more often other adults around – fellow renters doing things like dance class, theatre rehearsals, or producing full performances in the main space.
Address & Map – 1411 Cartwright Street, Granville Island, Vancouver BC – google map – note that googling the address will lead to the back door of the venue. Using the link here will lead you to the front door.
Wayfinding – The entrance to Carousel Studios is directly across the street from the Children’s Market, just east of Granville Island Brewing. Enter from the Cartwright Street side of the building, near the large set of floor to ceiling windows. You may need to wait outside (covered) for your teacher to let you in and lead you to the studio you are working in. For a detailed (and fun) introduction to finding the space, see our Instagram series introducing Carousel.
Transit – Accessing Granville Island via transit can be a little quirky. The 24 bus runs near the entrance of the island, and any bus (the 9, the 99, the 16, many more) will run within a 15-minute walk). The island can also be accessed dramatically from the water via ferry. There are two companies running ferries, False Creek Ferries and Aquabus.
Parking – Parking is free all over the island at night. During the day, pay parking is available around the island. Give extra time during the day on weekends, the island is a popular place for wandering tourists!
The physical space
- The front entrances is flush to the ground with a manual door. The theatre has two wheelchair accessible rehearsal rooms, Studio A & C.
- Studio B is located up one flight of stairs. There are 19 steps to access Studio B. Studio B also has an adjoining waiting room area, for people needing a quiet and calmer space.
- Carousel has two bathrooms located on the ground floor designed for folks using wheelchairs.
- All bathrooms within the venue are single-occupant, gender-neutral.
Dusty Flowerpot Cabaret – map
2050 Scotia Street – enter from the alley behind the Artiste Building